Monday, February 20, 2012

Project 5: Masculine Basketweave Scarf Teaser Post

Hello readers! I'm still playing catch up, but this should be my last late post (for now!) Another co-worker requested a commission, and this time it was for a scarf. Boy to my male friends go CRAZY for the Lion Suede yarns I had remaining from my yarn stash! It's one of the few discontinued yarns I own and every time without fail I show it to someone they fall in love with it! So this scarf was to use up the last 2/3 of a skein of the Lion Brand Lion Suede yarn in Olive. I had to order 2 more skeins on Ebay (since it is discontinued) so I could make a scarf out of it. In order to prevent adding (or rather maintaining) a fraction of a skein in my yarn stash that I started this blog to try to eliminate, I decided to keep use ALL of the last ball of yarn against my better judgement. Granted, the friend DID ask for "a LONG masculine scarf made out of the suede yarn only that I can wrap around several times and keep me very warm!"

After trying a far more complicated pattern, I decided on a simple basketweave for the sake of keeping knitting relaxing and also because it's simple and very gender neutral. My friend seemed very wary of cables although the first pattern I was attempting had mock cables, but I he seemed very happy when he saw the subtle checker pattern start to emerge! I can't recall the start date of this scarf, but it was right before Christmas if I remember correctly (ironically, I made a red scarf right before Christmas only to follow it with a green scarf!)

Although I only work on the scarf on work breaks and occasionally at home while watching Netflix, I had no idea how long knitting the scarf would actually take me. Turns out each row takes me 2 minutes. There are 10 rows in each square. And there are 50 squares (and counting!) That makes it 16 hours and 40 minutes worth of work so far! So as I near the end of this project, the question I pose to you dear readers (besides the implied "hello, is anyone even reading this?" haha) is: How much should I charge for this particular scarf? Definitely want to include the cost of the materials (approx $21 dollars for 3 skeins of suede yarn.) Other than that, no idea what to charge! Never sold a scarf before, so input would be very helpful. And now I must leave you with my teaser pic, the status of the scarf about 2 or 3 weeks ago when it was only a baby at around 4.5 ft long. Don't worry, more detailed pics with final project post coming VERY soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment